Are you struggling to understand native speakers when they talk to you despite years of practising your listening skills?
I’ve been living in another country for 9 years. And I absolutely love it. I love living abroad and immersing myself in another language and culture. And I bet you do too.
Maybe you travel to English-speaking countries regularly. Maybe you live in one. Maybe you have friends in the UK or elsewhere.
But do you sometimes feel like an outsider? Even though you can speak English, you don’t always understand what people are saying to you.
You love reading books and immersing yourself in the culture. A culture that you understand. But going abroad and talking to natives is frustrating. Because you don’t understand them.
You probably learned English through grammar, books and writing. Maybe you think it’s too late.
I want to tell you that it’s not. I learned to understand French by living in France. But I know now that I could have learned faster. If someone had just explained how spoken French sounds.
Imagine watching films and TV series without subtitles or chatting with natives without worrying about missing half the conversation.
Surely that takes years? Yes and no. It’ll take years if you just listen. But you can get there more quickly with the right type of activity.
The secret is dictation. Not like the dictations you did at school. I’m talking about listening to short sections of conversational English.
You listen, you write what you hear and you compare with the transcript.
Congratulations, you’ve just learned something concrete about your comprehension abilities. Thanks to the gaps in your understanding.
But to transform your listening, you need someone who can explain why you didn’t understand. Who can help you notice the patterns in fast, conversational English. So you can understand anyone you talk to.
Dictate Your Listening Success is a 3-week mobile programme to help you understand fast, conversational English.
What is Dictate Your Listening Success?
3 weeks of listening to, transcribing and recording 3 dictations per day through voice chat + my feedback.
DYLS is back for 2017. 1st session: January 30th to February 19th
All you need is your smartphone and an internet connection.
- Transcribe the dictations whenever it’s convenient for you
- Get my feedback so you understand why the dictation was difficult
- Listen to real, conversational English (my voice) without the pressure of having to respond
- Your investment: 60 €
What’s included in the price?
- access to the Leo Listening Level Test (value 5€)
- detailed how-to guide on how to use the mobile voice chat system
- 60 dictations sent over 3 weeks by voice chat
- 3 dictations to transcribe and record yourself saying per day
- daily feedback from me on your comprehension
- daily feedback from me on your pronunciation
- thematic dictations to help you learn the expressions you’ll hear in conversation
- a workbook containing these conversational expressions
- MP3 recordings of all the dictations, so you can listen whenever your want
Bonuses for early sign-ups (before Friday, January 27th at midnight CET)
=> pay the 2016 price of 50€
=> lifetime access to the Less is More in listening webinar (video+MP3)
A look inside the how-to guide
Listen and transcribe the dictations wherever and whenever you want.
Access the WhatsApp group from your preferred device.
About Cara and Leo Listening
Cara Leopold is the online English listening teacher at Leo Listening. She helps non-native speakers get conversation-ready by training them how to listen to and understand fast conversational English.